Sunday, February 28, 2010

February: The End of An Eventful Month!

This has been a delightful, exciting month. The winter has been a good one, lots of snow! The only disappointment is I haven't yet made a snowman, or put one on my blog. Winter is not over yet, so I have high hopes.
-
March will be an especially pleasant month for me. I am happy to know my husband will be auxiliary pioneering with me this month. That is a special blessing and a delight to have my best and closest friend with me in the ministry. We will have alot of fun, and exciting adventures together, and we will enjoy being with all our dear brothers and sisters. What will March bring in the form of weather? Remember the old adage? " March comes in like a lion, goes out like a lamb, or, comes in like a lamb goes out like a lion." We will see what March will live up to, but of course in these last days, even the weather is crazy. Who really knows what to expect. With Jehovah's blessing we hope to have a happy, successful ministry.
-
February has been an eventful month, not only because of the abundance of snow, but also because of my being exposed to a fascinating new hobby, blogging. I want to take this opportunity to thank my dear friend Sandy for introducing me to this new adventure and for her encouragement and support. Also, thanks to Arlene too for your support and encouragement. You certainly are helping me to get out of the box, and of course as you mentioned in your blog, it's a way to "bird and bond" and in my case "crow and bond." I appreciate and cherish your continued friendship, and the many adventures and "favorite things" we have shared together in service and otherwise. Thank you!
-
Before I sign off of this blog, I would like to share with you the meaning of the idiom, "as the crow flies." I don't know why, but I have always had a fondness for that expression.
-
The Raven, which I have affectionately adopted as a pseudonym, is the first bird specifically named in the Bible.(Genesis 8:7) Also, Jehovah selected the raven to miraculously feed Elijah while he was concealed in the torrent valley of Cherith. (1Kings 17:2-6) The Insight book under "Raven," gives interesting reasons why Jehovah may have selected that bird. Anyway, according to Wikipedia, concerning the idiom, "as the crow flies", it means:
-
“In a straight line, by the shortest route, as in It's only a mile as the crow flies, but about three miles by this mountain road. This idiom is based on the fact that crows, very intelligent birds, fly straight to the nearest food supply. [Late 1700s] “
-
"As the crow flies" is an idiom referencing the shortest route between two points.
-
An example is a measure of the distance between Key West and Pensacola, at the two opposite ends of the U.S. state Florida where the most direct route by road is approximately 792 mi (1,275 km) and the direct point-to-point aerial path that might be taken by a crow is 524 mi (843 km).[1]
-
The phrase is attested in print as early as 1800, and its origin is often attributed to Waynesboro, Pennsylvania.[2]
-
So ends February. See you in March!
-
This is Raven-As the crow flies!

1 comment:

  1. Wow! I can see why this is taking alot of your time! You wrote a book! Happy to have Russ out with us this month, which, by the way, came in as a lamb!! Will it be going out like a lion? Like the raven in Elijah's day, you are feeding us tidbits of interesting information. Thanks. And thanks for the shout-out. Glad to help you get outside the box. Love,

    ReplyDelete